Athletic Trainer ** SIGN ON INCENTIVE AVAILABLE **
Department: Specialty Services
Type: Full-Time (FTE: 1.0)
About the Job:
To assume the responsibility and obligation of establishing and maintaining an athletic training program, in all sports with assigned schools. Provides athletic injury management and other health services for all athletes, and assists coaches with the design and implementation of injury prevention programs. Refers athletes to appropriate health care professional following injury. Participates in a multidisciplinary team to maintain the Sports Medicine Program within the Orthopedic Specialty Services. Expect to travel and transport equipment.
The position also includes functioning as a physician extender within the Orthopedic/Podiatry Specialty Services when necessary.
**Sign on incentive $5,000 available**
- Coordinate and organize the daily Athletic Trainer functions with the athletic director and coaches at each school
- Complete all reporting requirements
- Review student physicals and releases to ensure authenticity
- Good communication skills in communicating to parents and staff. Is expected to meet MMC‘s professional, clinical, technical, communication and documentations requirements and standards and to make decisions based on established National Athletic trainer’s Association (NATA) guidelines.
- Responsible for prevention, emergency care, first aid, evaluation and rehabilitation of injuries to athletes under his/her care.
- Serve as liaison between the physician, the athlete, the athlete’s parents, and coaching staff
- Consultant to coaching staff on conditioning, nutrition, and protective equipment
- Assist with prevention of injuries including education for athlete’s and athletic trainers, identifying factors that put athletes “at risk”, correcting deficiencies in athletes as deemed necessary, as well as taping and bracing.
- Provide emergency care and first aid including availability of necessary equipment, communication procedures for emergency situations, and prompt, accurate triage.
- Evaluate acute and chronic injuries and refer to a physician or specialist where appropriate. Help decide if a player may return to competition following an injury
- Treat athletic injuries with protection, rest, ice, compression, evaluations, support, ultrasound, electrical stimulation, cold/heat/hydrotherapy as needed or prescribed with the availability of modalities.
- Develop, supervise, evaluate, and modify individual exercise programs for rehabilitation to help athletes return to a pre-injury status.
- Maintain records including injury reports, home care instructions, referrals, treatment records, and rehabilitation progress notes.
- Collaborate with AHS to secure training room equipment and supplies as needed
- Cover team practices allowing access to the athletic training room.
- Cover sporting events as required per WIAA guidelines. Obtain coverage for events in Athletic Trainer’s absence.
- Establish a positive learning environment that promotes a high level of achievement for all students while considering the background and developmental level of the individual students.
- Prepares and maintains a variety of reports, correspondence and notices.
- Attends conferences, workshops and other professional development to maintain current knowledge of progression.
- Maintains appropriate levels of confidentiality.
- Collaborates with school personnel to develop school-wide initiatives to make schools safer and more effective.
- High school graduate or GED
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university with degree in Athletic Training
- Credentialed as an Athletic Trainer by the State of Wisconsin
- Board Certification
- Registered Orthopedic Technologist preferred
- Knowledge of sports
- Current Health Care Providers CPR certification.
- Current Membership with or willingness to join National Athletic Training Association (NATA)
- Strong medical terminology skills.
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Knowledge of EPIC EHR or ability to be proficient within four weeks of hire.
- Competency with relevant medications and injection procedures.
Shift Time: Monday-Friday, standard business hours
Benefits and Salary:
Commensurate with position and experience. Comprehensive benefits package to include: medical, HSA, dental, 403(b) with employer match of 5%, PTO, wellness benefits, etc.
MMC is a regional medical center that serves patients from 7 counties in northwest Wisconsin and Gogebic County in Michigan. We have more than 60 full-time physicians and specialists on-staff and over 500 employees who are dedicated to providing quality care. Our charming city of Ashland, WI is located on the shores of Lake Superior near Bayfield and the 21 Apostle Islands, and boasts a strong community, historic charm, modern conveniences and abundant opportunities for outdoor recreation. Our passion and driving force is to see the people of our community live healthy, productive lives. EOE.Apply Now