Department: Specialty Services (Ophthalmology)
Type: Full-Time (FTE: 1.0)
About the Job:
Provides direct and indirect patient care under the direction and supervision of an Ophthalmologist or Optometrist. Dilate patients’ eyes if needed, gather personal health information, and do some basic testing to prepare the patient for their visit with their provider. May have additional job duties as needed. Understands and supports MMC Mission, Vision and Values, the principles and activities of True North, and organizational goals.
- Ensure all exam rooms are stocked and prepared at the opening and closing of each day.
- Prepares patient medical records for each visit as well as referrals.
- Enters and verifies data in the computer system.
- Orders supplies as needed. Maintains supplies in a neat and orderly environment.
- Interacts professionally with patient/family.
- Basic testing including (but not limited to) the following: Humphry Visual Field, OCT, BAT, IOP, Lenstar, IOL Master.
- Is responsible for counting/maintaining/documenting use of all injectable drugs.
- Enroll patients in financial assistance programs for injectable drugs, ex: Eylea4u, Beovu
- Answers telephone/patient call system in a polite manner. Communicates information to the appropriate personnel/family.
- Handles prescription refills
- Schedules patients for additional outside testing such as CT scan or lab work
- Provides care appropriate to condition, age and ability, the psychosocial and physical needs of patient, including adult, pediatric, geriatric and the general patient population within the Ophthalmic Assistant’s scope of practice and hospital policy.
- Rooms patients to do their health history intake and directs them on the next steps of their visit.
- Maintains equipment, utility areas and support areas in a clean and neat environment.
- Reports patient complaint of pain or vision changes to the Ophthalmologist or Optometrist.
- Performs all aspects of patient care in an environment that optimizes patient safety and reduces the likelihood of medical/health care errors.
- Communicates appropriately and clearly to staff members, medical staff, and providers.
- Maintains a good working relationship within the department and with other departments.
- Documentation meets current standards and policies
- Treats patient and families with respect and dignity.
- Demonstrates the ability to be flexible & organized. Is able to function under stressful situations.
- Manages and operates equipment safely and correctly. Uses proper body mechanics
- Orients new employees when necessary.
- Responds promptly to changes in workload, adjusting assignments as necessary to achieve optimal productivity, efficiency and fiscal responsibility.
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Certified Ophthalmic Assistants will be registered with JCAHPO
- Medical secretary training of one-year equivalent experience, preferably in a healthcare setting, is desirable. Requires strong knowledge of medical terminology.
- Must possess basis computer knowledge and use of hospital software to function within assigned role.
- Must be proficient within three months of entry into the position
- Must have legible penmanship.
- Must be able to spell accurately.
- Must be able to follow orders precisely and keep accurate records.
- Must be competent to serve specific patient populations served.
- Supports and implements Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action initiatives with area of responsibility.
Shift Time: 8-, 10-, and 12- hour shifts
Benefits and Salary:
Commensurate with position and experience. Comprehensive benefits package to include: medical, HSA, dental, 403(b) with employer match of 5%, PTO, wellness benefits, etc.
MMC is a regional medical center that serves patients from 7 counties in northwest Wisconsin and Gogebic County in Michigan. We have more than 60 full-time physicians and specialists on-staff and over 500 employees who are dedicated to providing quality care. Our charming city of Ashland, WI is located on the shores of Lake Superior near Bayfield and the 21 Apostle Islands, and boasts a strong community, historic charm, modern conveniences and abundant opportunities for outdoor recreation. Our passion and driving force is to see the people of our community live healthy, productive lives. EOE.Apply Now