Department: Ophthalmology - Specialty Services
Type: FTE: 0.9 Full-Time
About the Job:
The role of the Ophthalmic Scribe is to assist the physician with documentation of the patient’s medical record. The scribe accompanies the physician into the exam room to transcribe the history and examination as given by the patient and the physician. The scribe, under the direction of the physician, transcribes the impression and plan, results of tests, prescriptions, and orders. The scribe documents any procedures that may be performed by the physician or ophthalmic medical personnel. The scribe transcribes any consultations or discussions with family members & documents consents for treatment. The scribe does not usually directly assist with patient care, but may do so as directed by the physician.
- One-two-years’ experience in a medical office setting. Preferably with a strong understanding of medical terminology.
- Must be able to read, write, and speak the English language. Adequate hearing & pronunciation ability is required.
- Must be able to key accurately (50-60 wpm) and navigate multiple computer systems well.
- Must be proficient with the internet and computer software applications including Windows, Word, and Excel.
- Must have current knowledge or the ability to learn electronic billing and Electronic Medical Record (EMR) software applications within 60 days.
- Must be able to be flexible in work schedule as well as willing and able to travel to outreach locations (Spooner and Hayward).
- Must be able to work with many interruptions.
- Must be able to demonstrate professionalism and remain calm and level headed in stressful situations.
- Must demonstrate excellent communication skills in order to get accurate, current, and complete information on all medical records.
- Must be able to work quickly and accurately & get along well with other members of a team for proficient time management & to keep the flow of the physician’s clinic day.
- Required travel to outreach clinics, up to two days per week.
Shift Time: 8-, 12- hour shifts
Benefits and Salary:
Commensurate with position and experience. Comprehensive benefits package to include: medical, HSA, dental, 403(b) with employer match of 5%, PTO, wellness benefits, etc.
MMC is a regional medical center that serves patients from 7 counties in northwest Wisconsin and Gogebic County in Michigan. We have more than 60 full-time physicians and specialists on-staff and over 500 employees who are dedicated to providing quality care. Our charming city of Ashland, WI is located on the shores of Lake Superior near Bayfield and the 21 Apostle Islands, and boasts a strong community, historic charm, modern conveniences and abundant opportunities for outdoor recreation. Our passion and driving force is to see the people of our community live healthy, productive lives.Apply Now