Patient Financial Specialist
Employment Status: Full-Time
Department: PATIENT BUSINESS SERVICES
The Patient Financial Specialist is responsible for promoting good customer service while processing and following through on insurance claims, posting and billing accounts receivable, and cashiering.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Analyzes billings and submits notices of admission to third party payors.
- Demonstrates accuracy in carrying out the billing function.
- Completes and sends in claim forms for payment and statement charges, per instructions from third party payors.
- Determines schedules of benefits for patients when requested.
- Receives and files approvals for payment and mails statements for balance of charges, if applicable, to patients.
- Follows up on delayed claims.
- Accepts payments through the mail and over the counter, and posts checks received.
- Balances daily receipts and proves cash.
- Creates a daily cash sheet.
- Prepares bank deposit.
- Sorts and distributes incoming Patient Business Services mail.
- May act as a relief for patient access specialist, particularly in times of emergency, or during LOA’s and vacations.
- May act as a back-up to the pre-certification specialist.
- Treats each patient as a valued customer.
- Shows compassion and consideration when interacting with customers.
- Is pleasant and courteous.
- Maintains a professional image and attitude.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Must be able to read, write, and speak the English language.
- Must be able to key accurately at a minimum of 40 wpm.
- Must be proficient with Microsoft Office applications and able to learn electronic billing software within 60 days of hire.
- Must be able to be flexible in work schedule.
- Must be able to work with many interruptions.
- Must be able to demonstrate effective customer service skills and to remain calm and level headed in stressful situations.
- Must demonstrate excellent communication skills in order to effectively explain bills, insurance issues, etc. to patients.
- Experience working in an area of finance such as accounts receivable, patient billing, or insurance claims processing required.
- Must be able to understand medical terminology and insurance laws/guidelines.
Education / Licensure / Certification Qualifications:
- Completion of a two-year post high school degree in office support services or equivalent job experience.
- 8- hour shifts
Benefits and Salary:
MMC offers employees a competitive benefits package that includes:
*eligibility criteria must be met to participate in insurance plans. Not all employees may be eligible.
403 (b) Retirement Savings Plan
All employees are eligible to participate in the savings plan. Through payroll deductions, you can elect to contribute pre-tax and/or post-tax basis towards your retirement. We offer matching contributions for eligible employees.
Paid Time Off
MMC employees receive generous time off for vacations, illness and other personal matters.
MMC is a regional medical center that serves patients from 7 counties in northwest Wisconsin and Gogebic County in Michigan. We have more than 60 full-time physicians and specialists on-staff and over 500 employees who are dedicated to providing quality care. Our charming city of Ashland, WI is located on the shores of Lake Superior near Bayfield and the 21 Apostle Islands, and boasts a strong community, historic charm, modern conveniences and abundant opportunities for outdoor recreation. Our passion and driving force is to see the people of our community live healthy, productive lives. EOE.Apply Now