Peer Support Specialist
Department: Behavioral Health Services
Type: Full-Time (FTE: 0.9)
About the Job:
The Certified Peer Specialist assists adults with substance use disorders in recovery. This position supports the inpatient and outpatient clinical teams at MMC and the Ashland County Wellness and Recovery Court in creating a trauma-informed, safe, trusting, and healing environment that respects the perspective of the individuals they support. This position follows the Scope of Practice, Core Competencies and Code of Ethics of the Wisconsin Certified Peer Specialist and is valuable to the success of individuals with substance use disorders.
- Serve as a role model, mentor, advocate, and motivator to recovering individuals to prevent relapse and promote long-term recovery.
- Lead recovery groups
- Support individuals who have recently experienced an overdose or substance use withdrawal.
- Participate as an active member of a multidisciplinary treatment team, including treatment planning, advocating for individuals, and sharing ideas.
- Utilize one’s own recovery experience to teach and role model the value of every individual’s recovery experience to both peer patients/participants and co-workers.
- Assist and support individuals in meeting their identified goals.
- Maintain professional boundaries and abide by all applicable ethical and legal standards, including confidentiality and treatment rights.
- Must communicate effectively, verbally and in writing with patients, immediate staff, employees in all levels of the organization, and a variety of outside agencies.
- Must be able to work with individuals or groups to bring about change to enhance the individual’s quality of life in a functional way.
- Must be able to infrequently work an irregular shift and be able to adjust to frequent changes and interruptions; and to meet deadlines in a fast-paced work environment.
- Learn applicable software as necessary.
- Complete ongoing continuing education units to qualify for recertification through the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, Wisconsin Peer Specialists Department.
- Personal experience with successful sobriety and/or recovery for at least the last year
- Certified Peer Specialist through the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
Shift Time: 8-hour, 12-hour shifts
Benefits and Salary:
Commensurate with position and experience. Comprehensive benefits package to include: medical, HSA, dental, 403(b) with employer match of 5%, PTO, wellness benefits, etc.
MMC is a regional medical center that serves patients from 7 counties in northwest Wisconsin and Gogebic County in Michigan. We have more than 60 full-time physicians and specialists on-staff and over 500 employees who are dedicated to providing quality care. Our charming city of Ashland, WI is located on the shores of Lake Superior near Bayfield and the 21 Apostle Islands, and boasts a strong community, historic charm, modern conveniences and abundant opportunities for outdoor recreation. Our passion and driving force is to see the people of our community live healthy, productive lives.Apply Now