Physician Assistant or Nurse Practitioner
Department: Emergency/Urgent Care
Type: Part-Time (FTE 0.6)
About the Job:
The Physician Assistant will provide health care services to patients under the direction of a physician in the urgent care or emergency department setting. PA’s are academically and clinically trained to perform many of the routine but time-consuming tasks that physicians usually do and are accountable for their own actions and accountable to their supervision physician. The Physician Assistant manages acute minor and stable chronic illnesses, provides care including comprehensive assessment, ordering of interventions, conducting and interpreting diagnostic tests, prescribing medications and providing treatments and therapies of a non-pharmacologic nature.
The Nurse Practitioner will function as a primary health care provider in the urgent care or emergency department setting. The nurse practitioner utilizes the nursing process as a framework for managing patient care. Utilizes advanced health assessment, knowledge, and decision making skills. The nurse practitioner works independently and in collaboration and consultation with physicians and other health care providers. The Nurse Practitioner manages acute minor and stable chronic illnesses, provides care including: comprehensive assessment, ordering of interventions, conducting and interpreting diagnostic tests, prescribing medications and providing treatments and therapies of a non-pharmacologic nature.
- Provides care in the emergency department when needed; patients will be seen according to their acuity level.
- Demonstrated ability to meet performance criteria listed.
- Effective communication skills; verbal and written.
- Previous experience in an urgent care setting desirable.
- Maintains appropriate medical staff affiliation.
- Nurse Practitioner: At least six months prior experience as an RN.
- Must be able to speak the English language and write in an understandable manner.
- Must be competent to serve specific patient populations.
- May staff ER as primary provider with physician back-up in house.
- Role models the MMC Behavioral Standards.
- Basic Life Support (BLS)
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS)
- Trauma Nursing Core Course (TNCC) desirable.
- Advanced Trauma Life Support (ATLS) desirable.
- Physician Assistant:
- Licensed as a Physician’s Assistant in Wisconsin.
- Completion of a four-year physician assistant baccalaureate program and a year of clinical training, or;
- Completion of a two-year accredited physician assistant program (which requires two years of undergraduate study) plus two years of clinical training following completion of PA program.
- State accreditation based on certifying exam.
- Nurse Practitioner:
- Licensed as a registered nurse in Wisconsin.
- Master’s degree in nursing.
- Certification as a nurse practitioner by an approved certifying organization
Shift Time: Variable
Benefits and Salary:
Commensurate with position and experience. Comprehensive benefits package to include: medical, HSA, dental, 403(b) with employer match of 5%, PTO, wellness benefits, etc.
MMC is a regional medical center that serves patients from 7 counties in northwest Wisconsin and Gogebic County in Michigan. We have more than 60 full-time physicians and specialists on-staff and over 500 employees who are dedicated to providing quality care. Our charming city of Ashland, WI is located on the shores of Lake Superior near Bayfield and the 21 Apostle Islands, and boasts a strong community, historic charm, modern conveniences and abundant opportunities for outdoor recreation. Our passion and driving force is to see the people of our community live healthy, productive lives.Apply Now